• Apfeltalk ändert einen Teil seiner Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB), das Löschen von Useraccounts betreffend.
    Näheres könnt Ihr hier nachlesen: AGB-Änderung
  • Na, habt Ihr genügend in Stoffen geschwelgt? Dann könntet Ihr Euch jetzt die zahlreichen Einsendungen dieses Monats anschauen und entscheiden, welches Foto davon Euch am Besten gefällt. Hier geht es lang zur Abstimmung --> Klick

Mind the gap: The very amusing English thread

patr!ck

Finkenwerder Herbstprinz
well..., I'm ready with learning English now. It was kind of difficult but in any way very easy - if you understand it ;). >> I improved my English skills :-D Some people should better do the same...^^

Have you seen Nurenbergs Christkind? It's so ugly... But it doesn't matter^^. Now I'm learning a bit of history and eating some Xmas-cookies and drinking hot chocolate - yummy :-D.

Have I already said loving this thread?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

vierundvierzig

Weisser Rosenapfel
Fantastic. I didn't expect the thread would run that good. I've to train my English as well, since I am going to move to Dundee/Scotland in January to do by PhD in Biology over there. I am sooooo happy to move due to the gorgeous iPhone tariffs over there compared to TM ;)
If anyone can give me any good advice for nice places in Britain just drop me a line (excluding Loch Ness, London, Stonehenge). I'll be there for more than three years.

Derivat

Niederhelfenschwiler Beeriapfel

Nope, I'm sorry! iFans version was the right one! Getting up is the right expression for the fact that you awake. "Wake up" is the term for "waking someone up" what means that u make someone awake. But for that you already have to be got up before" ;)

For example:
I got up at 5 o'clock in the morning.
I woke my friend up by ringing the phone.

onliner

Spartan
Nope, I'm sorry! iFans version was the right one! Getting up is the right expression for the fact that you awake. "Wake up" is the term for "waking someone up" what means that u make someone awake. But for that you already have to be got up before" ;)

For example:

You are better as my english teacher. Respect ;)

Crizt

Wohlschmecker aus Vierlanden
My English teacher at school rocks -.-
Do you understand sat it wery imbodand ? He´s speakin like that all the day -.-

iFan

Thurgauer Weinapfel

For example:

Wtf? :D
Now I'm really confused :D

So I change my post again.

Tommy*

Angelner Borsdorfer
You are better as my english teacher. Respect ;)

Only that he's completely wrong since "wake up" can mean both, waking someone up and waking up yourself.

Pretty big call, you should have looked it up before you claim such things.

UHDriver

Doppelter Prinzenapfel
@fourtyfour:

Edinburgh is a must for sure, as I'm convinced you are aware. I didn't like Glasgow very much, but haven't had a lot of time in the city to start with.

If you start in Edinburgh and follow the coast to the north, there are a number of scenic villages, with Anstruther being the one I would recommend to stop and take a stroll through. Very beautiful indeed.

If you're interested in hiking, the area around Loch Lomond would be ideal. Gently rolling hills and a very pleasant landscape, quite nice.

I don't know too much about England, from what I've seen I'd say the city of Lincoln would be worth a visit. Nice old town center with a number of great pubs.

Cheers,
UHDriver

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: vierundvierzig

Derivat

seen from the colloquial aspect you are absolutely right, tommy*!

Tommy*

Angelner Borsdorfer
No, it simply has both meanings. Look it up.

Or watch Ed Wood's "I woke up early the day I died."

Also, how is there a difference between formal and colloquial English when it comes to such basic things as "weaking up"?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Seogoa

Morgenduft
hey guys,
its amazing, the thread started yesterday and is today on page 26.
My english isn't perfect and I have to train more for a better english skill and this thread is imo a good idea.

Ikezu Sennin

Schöner von Bath
Right now this thread has an average rating of 5 with 11 votes. This makes him the highest ranked Café-thread :-D

Update: After a quick search I can safely presume that this thread is the highest ranked in the whole forum :-D

Derivat

Oh, I'm sorry! I just took my Longman© Dictionary and looked it up: You really were right!
So my english teacher has told me bullshit about that years ago! Somehow I knew that I shouldn't believe everything she said! ;)
Thx for the note, Tommy*!

onliner

Spartan
Oh, I'm sorry! I just took my Longman© Dictionary and looked it up: You really were right!
So my english teacher has told me bullshit about that years ago! Somehow I knew that I shouldn't believe everything she said! ;)
Thx for the note, Tommy*!

Oh no.

You are not better as my english teacher! :-c