• Apfeltalk ändert einen Teil seiner Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB), das Löschen von Useraccounts betreffend.
    Näheres könnt Ihr hier nachlesen: AGB-Änderung
  • Na, habt Ihr genügend in Stoffen geschwelgt? Dann könntet Ihr Euch jetzt die zahlreichen Einsendungen dieses Monats anschauen und entscheiden, welches Foto davon Euch am Besten gefällt. Hier geht es lang zur Abstimmung --> Klick

Mind the gap: The very amusing English thread

BinoMaus

Eifeler Rambour
Well somtimes teachers don't know what they are talking about ^^ :p

iFan

Thurgauer Weinapfel
I've a terrible english teacher... sadly (?)

Tommy*

Angelner Borsdorfer
Oh, I'm sorry! I just took my Longman© Dictionary and looked it up: You really were right!
So my english teacher has told me bullshit about that years ago! Somehow I knew that I shouldn't believe everything she said! ;)
Thx for the note, Tommy*!

Well, sometimes English teachers do that. :)

darkCarpet

Halberstädter Jungfernapfel
hardly= kaum :-D hm c'est vrai mon copain :p french is one of the most beautiful languages ever.

You are right ;)

Nope, I'm sorry! iFans version was the right one! Getting up is the right expression for the fact that you awake. "Wake up" is the term for "waking someone up" what means that u make someone awake. But for that you already have to be got up before" ;)

For example:
I got up at 5 o'clock in the morning.
I woke my friend up by ringing the phone.

Both of them are a right solution.

to wake up -aufwachen
to wake up -aufwecken
to wake up -erwachen
to wake up -erwecken
to wake up - wecken

You can say: I had been woken up at 5 o´clock. The passive

English is such a great language. An awful lot of expressions for one thing ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Smooky

Pommerscher Krummstiel
Now i have some words for you boys and girls. What does this sentence mean:

"Your thru the looking glas"

;)

Tommy*

Angelner Borsdorfer
It means nothing, because it's non-grammatical. Do you mean "You are through the looking glass?" This could relate to "Alice through the looking glass", a story in which Alice meanders through a mirror into a wonderland ;)

I suppose it means that you're standard world view has been shattered and now you feel like being in some kind of wonderland.

EDIT: Turns out, I'm right :) Some dude on the internet visited a con: "Anime conventions are full of weird and stupid stuff that never gets reported, so you're through the looking glass now, people."

Maluku

Finkenwerder Herbstprinz
Man this thread is quite startling. I'm away for about a day and suddenly it is 28 pages long? I mean we were just fooling around in that other "Translation" thingy and now 28 pages? If it continues to grow this fast it will squash the "Fun-Thread" or even the "I got something new"-thread.
Is this deserved? I don't think so.
But is this fun? Yeah, we even had people banned over this. So it better is.

BTW:
It would be nice for some native speakers to wade this sea of bile and correct the mistakes to aid us in our pursuit of english-speaking greatness.

Maluku

Finkenwerder Herbstprinz
That is not bad. There is only 1 mistake as far as I can see. Are you really 8 years old? :oops:
Maybe he is a wunderkind? Have you checked his kindergarten? maybe they put delicatessen in his rucksack everyday. Well this is just a gedankenexperiment, no need for angst.

Reaktionen: hades

Firemac

Querina
BTW:
It would be nice for some native speakers to wade this sea of bile and correct the mistakes to aid us in our pursuit of english-speaking greatness.

my english is not so good, but did you mean, that the native speakers should correct our mistakes? correcting our mistakes would be beautiful =)

Tommy*

Angelner Borsdorfer
Man this thread is quite startling. I'm away for about a day and suddenly it is 28 pages long? I mean we were just fooling around in that other "Translation" thingy and now 28 pages? If it continues to grow this fast it will squash the "Fun-Thread" or even the "I got something new"-thread.
But is this fun? Yeah, we even had people banned over this. So it better is.

BTW:

Yeah, right. Like someone would do that without pay. I wouldn't.

Anu_bis

Jerseymac

You remember the 'Bumf and some questions' Thread (was that correct o_O)?
I think he was growing about a month or two and then he was lost in the archives...:p
But I think, this Thread is way better than the 'Bumf and some questions' Thread, this Thread was funny even though...:)